Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 07:58:09 -0500
So we agree generally. But I also have to comment on this.

"Hasn't it been
discussed here for instance how damaging whole cows milk can be for an
infant's intestines when started too early?"

What is too early? Because this no cow's milk until 1 year of age (in the
US) and 9 months (in Canada) is strictly formula company marketing. There is
no reason the mother can't start cow's milk at 6 months if she wants. But
why does she want? More marketing, this time from the dairy marketing board.
Why would a breastfeeding mother introduce cow's milk anyway? I know, there
are some reasons, but mostly they are invalid.

But damage to the baby's intestines is uncommon, and only when the baby is
getting most of his calories as cow's milk.

As far as putting things in their mouths, right, the babies are exploring.
And if they taste something good (not cereal which usually tastes like wet
sawdust--most 6 month olds who have never eaten any other solids will not
eat cereal, in my experience) they'll eat it. Great, exactly what they are
supposed to do.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC