From:
Kathy Rubin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 14:32:11 EDT
Hi Nikki--

It sounds more like the milk did not "go" anywhere, it just was not
accessible with a pump. Some moms are not able to let down well to a machine,
ergo the hand expression method may be preferable. When I went back to work
with a 6-month old, I could only express 2 ounces with a big Egnell classic
pump, yet my baby, who had been exclusively breastfed, was thriving!! When I
was able to get ahold of syntocinon spray (artificial oxytocin nasal spray,
readily available 18 years ago), I would pump 6-8 ounces. Yet, my baby never
complained about supply problems when I fed her directly. Why the baby
refused to nurse is anyone's guess--see all the stuff on nursing strikes,
right? Sometimes we never know and tincture of time is what fixes it.

Kathy in NJ IBCLC
RN C (Maternal-infant), APN C (Family Nurse Practitioner)
PhD student hoping to study labor and lactation issues