From:
"Jennifer Tow, IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jul 2011 11:52:20 -0400
Erika,
That the bay could extend her tongue is no indication that the baby does not have a TT. IMO, function is a more efficient evaluation tool than visual assessment. With all due respect, I have had moms email me photos of their babies from all over the world who were told they were not TT by doctors and IBCLCs and indeed most were. One clue that a baby might well be TTd is a CST appt that improves things, but the treatment doesn't hold (although I do not understand her decision not to return when she had improvement). I suggest she return again and that if you are not confident with the assessment of a PTT, you get an opinion from a colleague who is. If that is ruled out, (or even ruled in) then I would be looking at mom's diet and baby's gut function.

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, France
Intuitive Parenting Network, LLC