From:
Megan Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 13:21:03 -0400
Diane,

These words really hit home for me, and truly explain the true core of the
problem:

"We work a lot harder to stay out of holes than we do to climb trees.  If a
mother sees formula as a deep dark hole in the flat plain of her mothering
experience, she'll work really hard to stay out of it.  If she sees
breastfeeding as a tree on that flat plain that simply offers a nicer view,
she'll probably quit trying to climb it as soon as she realizes it doesn't
come with an escalator."

This is so well said Diane, thank you!!!!

If moms knew the truth about the risks associated with formula feeding,
wouldn't they try avoiding the holes rather than seeing breastfeeding as
an insurmountable task? I am wondering how much education is given in this
light, (rather than focusing on the benefits of breastfeeding) in the
experience of those of you on Lactnet?

*Have you seen the Noodlesoup.com handouts about the risks of formula?
(their website seems to be down at the moment but they have catalogs as
well: 1-800-795-9295) They are cheap, yet very informative. These would
make great little inserts into the formula "gift" bags that are so
(unfortunately) happliy given out and received!

Megan Allen
volunteer breastfeeding counselor
www.nursingmoms.org