From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 01:31:07 +0200
Susan Potts posted off-topic, on vaccines, and included the entire text of
an article from another source in her post.  Vaccines are not the topic of
Lactnet except as they directly relate to breastfeeding, and Lactnet's
listmothers do not, as a group, have a public opinion on the question of
childhood immunizations.  The subscribers to Lactnet have very diverse
opinions on this subject, and they seem to feel equally strongly no matter
which opinion they hold.  That is why we, (along with Nancy Wight), want
this thread to STOP, now.

Kathy Dettwyler is not a listmother on Lactnet, she is a long-time
subscriber and frequent contributer.  I, for one, hope she considers it a
compliment to be mistaken for one of us (and I wonder which one it is?).
Judy Ritchie, another person in the long-time subscriber/frequent
contributor category, recalls that Kathy's husband works in the area of
childhood immunization and criticizes Kathy for espousing, as it were, her
husband's standpoint on one aspect of scepticism to immunizing children.
Both their posts were as much off topic as the article posted by Susan
Potts.

Please note that listmothers are saying nothing about the appropriateness of
having an opinion about childhood immunization.  We are merely reminding you
all, cherished subscribers old and new, that Lactnet is about breastfeeding,
and posts about other things should have a direct breastfeeding tie to avoid
being considered 'off topic'.

Lactnet works because we focus on what we have in common, namely the goal of
helping mothers to breastfeed.  So let's get Lactnet back to what it's good
at, and end this thread now.  We're glad to have you all here on Lactnet, in
our virtual living room here in cyberspace, and we'd like you all to feel
welcome regardless of your opinion on immunizations or any number of other
hot issues which are not the focus of this list.

So be nice to each other and get back to breastfeeding.

cheers and good night (it is 1:30 a.m. where I am and I worked a double
shift Friday, so I am going to bed now, hoping not to find another flurry of
off-topic posts in my inbox when I get up)
Rachel Myr
for the listmothers