From:
Morgan Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 2009 14:57:41 +0000
I'd like to share some musing with you all, on weaning.  The musings
were prompted by reactions to my propagating a request to mothers to
take part in a 'baby led weaning' survey (that I posted here too).

As my 'baby' is four years old next week, I felt odd using 'baby led
weaning' when I propagated, so I used 'child led' weaning in my own
headers, but left the original quote - using baby led weaning - in the
main body of the text.

And in a couple of forums, all hell broke loose.

It took a few attempts to understand why all hell had broken loose,
apart from the obvious... this was the internet.  And I spent some time
talking it through with the Dr at the University who was conducting the
research.  And I think what happened, is important to signal.  If for no
other reason, than language.

First of all, there was the usual problem with the word 'weaning'.  In
one place, a process, in another, the end result.  The survey asked for
those who had followed baby led weaning, was this open for those who had
completely weaned, or was it for those still weaning?  When we got to
the bottom of that, it was clear that changing the request... "we're
looking for mothers who have weaned, or are weaning, using..." took away
that problem.  But it was so interesting that this word adapting had to
be done.  That just using the word 'weaning' made mothers feel unsure if
they were still weaning, or not... especially since it was UKan mothers
who got most confused about this.  In the UK, weaning means the process
- we talk about starting weaning the moment a child has their first
'solid'.  So it was surprising to me, that so much confusion arose from
asking about 'baby led weaning'.

Especially when an argument arose, on the difference between 'baby led'
and 'child led'.  Some mothers stated these were two entirely different
things, and then went on to post URLs on how to define them.  'Baby led'
meant skipping purées in solids, and only giving finger foods.  Further,
some then claimed 'baby led' automatically, and exclusively, mean the
work of Gill Rapley: the researchers clearly wanted to contact people
who had used Gill Rapley's work.

I, personally, couldn't see how there could be a dichotomy on 'baby led'
versus 'child led' - it was the same thing, just that the infant was
older!  It was then introduced that 'child led' meant allowing the child
to stop breastfeeding, as opposed to the mother making the decision.
Which was UTTERLY different from letting them eat with their own
fingers, solids, at their own volition.

It was then it struck me.  That 'solids introduction' was being seen as
a separate, and autonomous process, to that of breastfeeding.  That the
meaning of 'weaning' - the moving away from the breast, to solid food,
had been completely lost.  That 'weaning' was not about a transition, it
was about 'eating solids'.  And so some mothers, very much feel they are
baby led weaning, at the same time they themselves choose to stop
breastfeeding.  Because they are giving choice on solids.  But the lack
of infant choice on the breast, didn't come into the equation.  This was
in forums exclusively occupied by breastfeeding mothers.  Lactavists, even.

I find this fascinating.  Truly, I find it fascinating.  I can't
express, how fascinating it is to me, that we, as a culture, can take
the process of weaning off the breast onto solids, and put the solids
part of it in a box, seal it tight, and label it 'baby led'.  And yet,
the dynamic, inter-related and primary element of still choosing to
breastfeed, away from the baby, and lock it tight in another box, as
'something else'.

As I said, this led into discussions with the researcher, on what she
had intended.  And no, it was not about any doctrine or method, it was
about, she mooted "infant self feeding" as a neutral term that made it
clear it was about the infant being allowed to choose, and self feed.
And this, in turn, led to a discussion of what that means, in terms of
weaning.  For breastfeeding is the core of infant self feeding.  The
hunger may be the prompt, but even from a very young age - they stop
when they are full!  And it's rare for a caregiver with bottle feeding,
to be able to read the signals so well.  (But possible, of course.)

This also illuminated a smaller side section on the various discussions,
which is can you have 'child led' in bottle fed babies?  And, of course,
you can.  In fact, this is a bogeyman stereotype in our culture.  The
'horror' of a toddler or small child, who self feeds from the bottle.
The child who asks for, receives, and happily self-feeds, from a
bottle.  The terror of it!  The lack of maternal pride, or discipline,
in allowing an older child to still suck from the silicon teat.

Which made me wonder about this artificial sense on 'weaning'... that
one can follow infant's leads on solids, but ignore that this has a
relationship with the breast.  And wonder, if, once again, we are seeing
the world through the bottom of the formula bottle, in just about
everything we do?  That the dis-connection between solids, and the
breast, is a reflection of seeing formula, and solids, as something not
really related, in terms of the baby's needs and desires.  And that, in
turn, is the dis-connection between the breast, and mother, as the
source of food and comfort: a source the child can approach, and
interact with, at its own pace.

As I said, these are just musings.  Not fully formed, still musing.
(Maybe it's not bottle led thinking - the fight over how long a baby
gets the mother's breast, and who determines the use of that breast, is
as old as culture I'd imagine...)

Although the point about making sure everyone is clear about what is
being said on 'infant self' feeding is useful.   It was news to me that
'child led' weaning was something utterly different and alien to 'baby
led' weaning and that for some, 'baby led' ONLY meant Rapley.  I'm sure
it will be news to others too!

:-)

Morgan Gallagher

(Who baby led her child, and still is, as we've not weaned yet, and who
hasn't read Rapley!)