From:
Morgan Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Mar 2009 14:29:42 +0000
http://www.rue89.com/2009/03/06/is-breastfeeding-feminist-or-not

In a report made public last Tuesday, the Academy of Medicine
recommended breastfeeding and longer postnatal maternity leave. I was
wondering what feminists thought of this. Are they furious about more
pressure on women? Not really. They are, in fact, quite divided over the
issue.

My first reaction was to telephone Héloise, my feminist friend, who has
been an active member of Tumultueuses (a French feminist forum) for a
short while. At the other end of the line, she is annoyed about the
temptation to confuse women with 'milking cows'. She is not at all
against breastfeeding, but denounces a “current pro-breastfeeding climate”:

“What irritates me the most is that society doesn't realize that it is
long, that it is our bodies and that we have the right to do what we
want with them. The reality is that breastfeeding takes five hours a day
and that it hurts. So it really needs to be a choice.”

In 2006, Libération published an article that surprised me (“Ce
sacro-sein allaitement”). Brought up to the the tune of “breastfeeding
is brilliant and good for the baby's health”, I was surprised to
discover women who were complaining about the way society views them.

“It sees to me that if you want to breastfeed, it's a fight. You have to
justify yourself, accept being seen as an 'animal', have the strength to
go to work with your express machine or stay at home for many months and
be frowned upon by the company you work for.”
---
Slightly more on link.

Morgan Gallagher