Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 1998 17:32:53 -0000
Hi All,
I have been involved with some planning of a conference (parent/child type)
last year (getting the ceu's), and this was the first experience and
exposure I had to this dilemmathe speakers was.  The speakers were also
uniformed about the sponsorship, and led their topic with a disclaimer,
such as described by previous posts.  The main organizers were AGAST! at
such a disclaimer!  While there were supportive evaluations to these two
speakers and their disclaimers, the organizers made a strong point of
'what's the big deal here?'.

I personally admired the strength it took to offer the disclaimer, and for
one speaker discuss the 'ethical dilemma' she was in without her prior
consent.  Unfortunately, the next conference was again sponsored by guess
what, and no Breastfeeding info was offered!  This is really a sad, sad,
state!!

In my mind I equate this situation with a conference on children's health
being sponsored by William Morris, or some big beer company!!

We still have awareness to raise and I'm so glad there are strong voices
out there.

Lucy, WI