From:
Elizabeth Franklin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2006 09:29:22 -0400
Hi.

I am attempting to write an education session/protocol for staff on a post-
natal ward regarding the use of nipple shields. I work in an area where
they are reccommended frequently, both on the post-natal ward and by child
health nurses. Many women who have breastfed well initially, and go on to
have a rough couple of days (!!!) go straight to the chemist and buy a
nipple shield. We have many women coming back to our (small and under-
staffed) breastfeeding clinic,who have all the problems which we know are
associated with shield use. I would love to get rid of nipple shields all
together (!!!), or have a system by which only trained bf
counsellors/IBCLCs "prescribe" them, when appropriate and with good follow-
up. My goal for now is to reduce their use a little (heres hoping), and to
put better advise in place for women who use them.

My question is: what do other IBCLCs say about nipple shield use and
pumping:
Routine pumping or pump if there are signs of reduced milk transfer/reduced
breast emptying?

I favour advising women to hire a hospital grade pump and express after
feeds 4-6 times per 24 hours: less or more as needed depending on signs of
intake in the baby/breast softening etc. My theory is that by encouraging
women to pump at the onset of nipple shield use, they will avoid engorged
breasts and reduced milk supply in the long-term.

Correct or overkill? Can anyone direct me to an article which supports this?

Also any opinions/references about the idea of stuffing the shield with a
small piece of cotton material as a way of reducing flow and weaning baby
off the shield? (Can not remember where i read this one!)

Zab Franklin.

Sweden.