From:
Jodine Chase <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 2003 08:18:39 -0700
Valerie, as you have discovered, it is clear that the infant formula
industry knows how to employ the technique of lining up credible
third-parties to support their messaging.

> I guess I no longer find news coverage to be more credible than advertising.
> Industries and the government have just made the news another form of
> advertising propaganda.  I don't read much of it and believe far less than I
> read.

You would be at the far end of the scale of people who could be swayed by a
newspaper article. First because you are significantly more informed on this
issue than the average reader, and second because you have obtained a level
of media literacy that makes you "immune" to the persuasive tactics employed
here.

People who are closest to an issue are usually surprised at how news
coverage does not completely reflect reality.

I am not saying that the only tools we should employ are out of the public
relations toolbox.

-- Jodine