From:
Maurenne griese <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 1997 13:18:12 -0600
Oh Chanita!  Please send some of that Rescue Remedy with my Lactnet t-shirt
transfers...

This whole discussion is fascinating...As a working mom, I choose who cares
for my children.  I am the child care providers employer.  If these people
have the audacity to tell me I can't nurse my children intheir center
because of space constraints, I need to find someone who will make the
space.  I can take my precious children and my business elsewhere.   I
place too much value in the care that is provided in my children to hear
that they can't provide a space for a mom to nurse, privately or
publically.  So people may be offended by a nursing mom and babe...does
anyone care that I may find formula feeding offensive???  Sorry I'm so hot
about this...

I think back to the days of working nights on active duty and nursing my
daughter at day care before and after work. How many times did other
parents or my day care providers family see me nursing her?  More than I
can remember.  I'm thankful I chose this day care provider because I never
felt that I made them or other parents feel uncomfortable.  Did they think
I was a lunatic for working nights, pumping at work and nursing my daughter
during the day while I tried to sleep- sure!

During the floods of 1993, I had an hour added to my commute due to the
roads being closed and can remember pumping and driving at the same time
(in a 5 speed on muddy roads, mind you), dropping my daughter off with a
warm bottle of my milk.  I can't imagine having to do that on a daily basis
but that's what some women are subjected to today and may be subjected to
if this is allowed to happen in Virginia(why do you think vehicle lighter
adapters are available for breast pumps now, anyway?).

Sharon, your letter was eloquent, professional and level headed.  I wish I
could have authored this post with the same demanor.  Good luck.  I'll be
calling my sister in law, a Virginia attorney herself who's also a
breastfeeding mom.

Steaming in blustery Kansas,

Maurenne Griese, RNC, BSN, CCE, CBE
Birth and Breastfeeding Resources