From:
Linda Rosetti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 16:45:54 -0800
I have a question for all the Drs. out there  and hospital lactation
consultants....I feel some of the herbals help with low milk supply,
specifically fenugreek.  When a mother is having documented difficulty with
supply my plan involves all the basics for increasing production..such as
lots of nursing, rest, massage, supplement as needed by situation family
support, reglan etc.  I hesitate to suggest herbs because of I have no
policy for this and feel pretty uncomfortable, but I have suggested it on
occasion in the context of "if you feel comfortable using herbs you could
look at some of the lay texts and they often suggest using herbals" usually
I steer them towards Nursing Mothers Companion.  I do tell them about some
of the side affects and precautions...
        As a breastfeeding advocate I feel the herbs are helpful and for some quite
worthwhile.  How is it best handled...Kathleen Huggins talks about
them...someone must have some way to approach this.  What do you think?????

Linda Rosetti
Clarkston, Wa.