Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 2008 10:46:50 EST

Chayn writes:

I would be  interested to hear from others who reccomend CST after clipping
and how they  perceive the results. I have reccomended it but I do it something
like this -  there are other LCs hat reccomend that every baby have CST after
 frenotomy."  It is hard for me to suggest to women to pay for one more
thing especially something that I don't understand at all

~~
I always let parents know this is something non-invasive that can be very
helpful. Many parents do say the baby's skills and behavior are noticeably
different after. This is true for babies with reflux problems, as well as  tongue
movement issues, which are often related somehow. A few years ago,  when a mom
I was working with first told me about CST and how it helped her  baby, I
started to go with moms for many months to watch the sessions and talk  to the
practitioner in real time. I am very comfortable with both his skills,  his
approach, and have seen and continue to hear good things about the  results. I can
share all this with families. The release is often covered by  insurance or
so low-cost ( for something a surgeon does) that parents who are  not seeing
the results  hoped for, will consider it, if they hadn't  considered it before.
Since some other local IBCLCs do not refer as much or at  all, nor do their
peds, it is sometimes not going to happen. Still, I have  educated the parents
about their options to the best of my ability. It can be a  critical part of
recovering or gaining normalized function and baby  well-being.

Peace,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL
Brooklyn, NY,  USA