Date:
Mon, 3 Sep 2007 13:05:42 +0800
On 03/09/2007, at 12:52, Jaye Simpson, IBCLC wrote:

> Needless to say she changed her cleaning habits.and I use it as an
> example
> to those moms who want to clean once or twice a day only because it
> just
> takes so much time.  The moms who pump at work want to know how to get
> around the time factor.  I explain that they really need to at
> least rinse
> well and use the clean-wipes designed for such things.  (Like
> Medela band)
> Cleanliness is such an important factor.

I'm very suspicious of the "clean-wipes". They're expensive, I am not
convinced that those antibacterial agents leave zero residue, and I
can't see how all the crannies of the pump parts could be properly
wiped out with them. And swiping with chemicals is no replacement for
running water. I wonder how many resistant bacteria and yeasts build
up when mothers are using these regularly and thinking they've
"cleaned" their equipment.

The mother you are speaking of wasn't even cleaning her parts "once
or twice a day" - she wasn't cleaning them at all, from what you've
said! I agree that rinsing between pumps is important (unless you're
"power pumping" over the course of an hour or two), ideally with a
hot rinse, but even more crucial is completely disassembling and
cleaning everything very thoroughly once a day, soaking first.

Lara Hopkins