From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Oct 1998 17:09:36 -0500
I have a situation with a mother who I began seeing at 3 weeks. She had had
a poor start, small baby, and had trouble getting pregnant in the first
place. She did a lot to counteract this original problem, and began pumping
frequently, using an SNS, and taking a 10 day course of Reglan, 30 mg in
three doses of 10 mg daily. This worked well, and for a few days, the mother
was able to breastfeed totally without formula  or SNS etc.  After the
reglan was d/c'd/tapered, (monday) the baby has lost half an ounce since
then, and the mother is really discouraged. She has put in Herculean effort
and is just not willing to give up now. Her doctor basically told her that
she "could nurse the next one," and that that was that, in effect.  She is
planning on changing physicians, due to discouragement on this lack of support.

Do you have any suggestions for me on this one? I called Ruth Lawrence's
office, who indicated that we could not continue on the Reglan, which I what
I thought...but it was discouraging to hear this.  We live 2 hours from
Montreal, and I am looking into the use of Domperidone, which we might be
able to get from a Canadian physician. The mother is looking into using
donated milk from her sister. If she does decide to use her sister's milk,
what do we need to have that milk tested for to make sure that it is safe to
use?

Thanks. Appreciating your input. Kathleen

Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC co-owner Lactnet,TLC, Indep. Consultant
Williston, Vermont, where autumn is in full color...
mailto:[log in to unmask]
Check these pages out...
http://together.net/~kbruce/proj.html
http://together.net/~kbruce/answers.htm