Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 2000 18:17:54 +0100
>Barbara writes:
>>I breastfed 3 children over the years 1980 to 1992. I was never asked to
>leave a place, move, stop or anything. I breastfed in almost every
>conceivable place-MD offices, movies, church, restaurants, concerts, on our
>boat while fishing, amusement parks, state fairs, etc.  I just wish I was
>bfing now and someone had the nerve to approach me!!
>>I am woman, hear me roar!!!
>
>Ditto for me Barbara, but I think this is the crucial difference -- women
>who are breastfeeding and not ashamed of it, not cowering, or covering up,
>or hiding, or worrying about what people think -- project an image of strong
>mother-woman-ness.  People are much less likely to approach them and ask
>them to move, because it is clear they are not going to.
>
>Kathy Dettwyler

Now that's the truth! I wonder what you might have said to someone,
KD, if they'd asked you to move!!! I would love to have been there :
))))

OTOH, some women are shy, and find bf a difficult thing to do in
public, and that's a dreadful, sad shame, and maybe not their fault.
That's why those women who are happy about it should take every
opportunity to flaunt it, wherever they are, as they're blazing a
trail for their shyer sisters.

When this topic comes up in class, I cringe when many of them say how
they don't 'mind' seeing bf 'as long as it's discreet' (aaargh!!!),
and that they're not going to be one of those women who bf 'like an
exhibitionist'....there is *always* a tale of someone's sister-in-law
or cousin who outraged everyone by 'getting them out every half hour'
and embarassing people at a family gathering. ...'she just didn't
care!' Well, good for her : )

I love the discussions that arise though - about how it's the people
who are embarrassed who have the problem, and how illogical it is for
the mother to move, rather than the complainer. I know many of them
remain unconvinced - and these are,  in the main,  women who really
want to bf.

I'm all for brazen breastfeeding...the more it's done any place,
anywhere, any time, the easier it is for everyone to *just do it*.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK