From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2008 09:52:25 +1100
Hi Liz,
It's my understanding that ICDC has a worldwide role (including the US) and
that NABA is a type of IBFAN group
http://www.ibfan.org/site2005/Pages/article.php?art_id=322&iui=1 which has a
slightly different role.
No, determinatins from ICDC don't have the force of law, that is not their
role but they can advise individuals, organisations and governments on
whether an instance of marketing is in breach of the Code...this means that
it is not up to the individual to guess. So as in the instance here on
Lactnet where an IBCLC (or anyone else) is unsure about whether they should
accept sponsorship from a company contacting the ICDC is appropriate.

BTW, I am going to be attending a meeting this weekend where UNICEF's code
lawyer will be also presenting. If anyone has tricky questions about the
code tat they want answered email me privately and I'll ask for you.

Karleen Gribble
Australia