From:
"Susan E. Burger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 07:10:15 -0500
Sharon pointed out that very few IBCLCs who are not RNs are able to make
sufficient money on their own without other revenue streams.  I think this
may be a difference between markets in urban and rural areas.  All three of
my colleagues come from nonmedical backgrounds (I consider myself included
since I don't consider "public health" to be the same as "medical
treatment").  Since we live in Manhattan we have a huge population pool.

I have absolutely no time to do anything but provide the lactation
consultation services.  I barely can manage to update my forms let alone
think about all the research I would love to do.  Yes, we have some down
times.  December was slow, but I've seen three sets of twins already this
month - had all but one slot filled this month - and that was not filled
only because I sent the mom on to have treatment for a nipple infection -
taught 2 classes and facilitated 4 support groups.

We haven't even started implementing much in the way of advertising either -
this is entirely through word of mouth.  I keep planning on sending
brochures to the pediatrician's offices but keep waiting for a long enough
lull to do it or to get scared about not having enough clients.  It hasn't
happened yet.  There is a resource guide for moms that we turned down
because it cost $500 to be included and we didn't need the extra business.

I think that places like Manhattan provide unique opportunities.  I'm
getting the sense from some of the mothers that lactation consultants are
now being viewed as the same thing as personal trainers.  A luxury item that
provides status.  One mom told me that this attitude had changed in her
social group between her first and her second child.  With her first she
felt like she was a failure to have to call in an LC.  With her second it
was the thing to do.

I don't know how one would translate these attitudes elsewhere.  AND coming
from a public health background I constantly think about the moms that can't
afford us.

Best, Susan