Date:
Sat, 6 Apr 2002 08:01:00 EST
Formula discharge bags are one of the things that hospitals (nurses,
physicians, administration) seem to think is a cute and attractive gift to
give to new mothers. Why we need to give patients gifts is beyond me. No one
being discharged from the cardiac care unit gets samples and coupons of low
tar cigarettes. Nurses don't market Tupperware to med-surg patients, but they
market formula to new mothers every time one of those bags is given
out---with or without the formula in it.

As I said before, this is usually because of a contract with the formula
company. Sometimes it is the purchasing department that has negotiated this
contract which explains why the CEO never knows about it. Taking out the
formula does not negate the marketing of the product. The name of the formula
and the logo of the company are all over the contents of the bag. When you
give this to a mother it sanctions the use of the product. That's is why the
endorsement of the nurse, physician and hospital is so important in the use
of these bags.

If you were given a bag, make an appointment with the customer service
department, return the bag and register a complaint. If you do not write
letters to the hospital complaining then nothing will happen. Copy the
letters to EVERYONE!!! Why do you continue to give out the bags? This
presents a potential health danger to the infant.

If people are interested is how to reduce these commercial pressures and
address real ways to remove them, please contact me regarding the Code
training workshop that NABA will be conducting in May. We will look closely
at how to eliminate this menace to our babies and mothers.

Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC
Weston, MA