From:
Elena Vogel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2012 00:49:31 -0400
Hello,

I'm a new-ish IBCLC and this is my first post here.

With permission to post; I'm looking to get some help from all of you wonderful lactation minds:

I have a client with a 10 month old baby who has been experiencing on and off shooting pain in her left breast for 2 months. She feels it most often about 30 minutes after a feeding, and it can last up to an hour or so before it subsides. She sometimes feels it daily, other times can go many days without feeling it. As it was only in her left breast, and she has never seen nipple blanching, I ruled out vasospasm. Also ruled out thrush as it was one sided. She is prone to plugged ducts (has gotten many over the months), and so I was thinking it was potentially bacterial. I recommended physical measures for a plugged duct (heat, massage, frequent feeds, etc). After 3 days with no improvement, she contacted her OB. OB put her on antibiotics for subclinical mastitis. Just heard from her....she's been on the antibiotics for 5 days, and she feels that the pain has now gotten worse and increased in frequency.

Any thoughts about what might be happening here? I'm at a loss.

Many thanks,

Elena Vogel, IBCLC
Los Angeles