From:
KimAnn Lorber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 2004 18:46:28 -0500
I haven't been able to see the Today show but have been reading the MSNBC version and haven't been thrilled with it.

From the LC it looked like a transcript of the interview on tv rather than a written artilce. I have felt like it wasn't that positive and weird how she said twice "I give permission for moms to stop breastfeeding and to pump exclusively......I give permission every day for women not to breastfeed."
I don't give women permission to do anything, I give them information so they can make an informed decision to decide for themselves what they want to do. Maybe that's just me.

Also she says "Many women get pain right away from day one.  A ton of people will say it shouldn't hurt. They lie. When a baby latches on, if you see stars in your eyes and you're in a bit of pain, that is expected." I can understand how your nipples can feel tender a mild sensation when first beginning to nurse since that part of your body isn't used to that much contact but "seeing stars" means to me a whole lot of pain and I would think that isn't normal.

Also she ends the conversation with "This is what I tell all the dads. If dads can get cold hands on mom when she's nursing he can help her soothe her breasts. " To me this sounds odd to hear if I am a first time mom.

On the author for the book Baby 411 she says "Babies who try to nurse more frequently than every 90 minutes are nursing for comfort -beware of being the human pacifier. Babies have no other way of consoling themselves. They can't just pull it together and settle down. Sucking is extremely soothing. So, if it has been less than 90 minutes since the beginning of the last feeding, try using your finger to let him suck." This is just on of my pet peeves of not letting mom be a "human pacifier" and that this advice is listed under "birth to 2 wks".

Only my 2 cents.

Kim Ann

mama to 4 boys and volunteer breastfeeding counselor for 9yrs