Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 19:16:27 -0500
>What we consider pleasing head shape is a cultural variable.  Some peoples
>have a custom of wrapping newborns' heads in a long strip of cloth to
>encourage formation of an elongated skull, or a high flat forehead.  We have
>been accustomed to those round occiputs for years because babies have been
>sleeping on their stomachs.  Chinese babies with round occiputs are objects
>of pity-- how lovely that baby is from the front, too bad her head isn't
>flatter in back, she could have been so pretty otherwise!

I know that there are those cultural preferences. In some cultures adults
sleep on hard pillows and place their infants on similar hard pillows to
affect the desired look of flat back of head. There are many cultural
manipulations of the body for "beauty", aren't there. Binding feet, objects
through noses and ears and other places, and, of course, in the US
mutilation of breasts.

>I was not aware that torticollis was an artifact of sleep position.  I
>thought it was congenital.

Most infants are born with a preference in direction of head turning. But
if they are held and allowed to feed in the two directions that are normal
with breastfeeding, most will soon relax and turn each direction with ease.
 But if they are sleeping on backs and are allowed to continue to favor one
side tortocollis can develop.

Some infants, due to intra-uterine positioning, need more help in releasing
the tension on one side of the neck. This is where Cranial Sacral Therapy
is very helpful. The earlier the better.

If parents are going to concern themselves about sleep position (and have
baby in a crib) I recommend the "wedge" that allows baby to alternate
sides. And, of course, she can spend some time on her back as well.

In the reports that I have read of SIDS, many of the infants were older and
were put to sleep on backs from birth, but learned to roll over and were
found face down when they were discovered. Unless we design a restraint
that prevents baby from rolling over, we will have babies choosing to roll
over and sleep on stomachs.

Far better to stress breastfeeding and shared sleep with their accompanying
frequent arousal stimuli.

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Mailto:[log in to unmask]