From:
"Paula M. R. Hart" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 19:00:40 -0500
First of all, thank you to everyone for all of the input.  I think I am
taking ideas from several people, so I won't be able to single out with
whom I agree.  The reason I asked your opinion is that in the past (third
baby), I have donated it to shelters and similar places, always looking for
a promise that it would not be given to anyone pregnant still or
breastfeeding.  No one was ever willing to commit to that.  I didn't remove
labels then because I frankly did not know what WHO is.

I donated it to Pet Helpers today without labels, just the instructions cut
out and taped on.  Of course, the lady in charge was getting all nostalgic
about formula feeding her children.  I almost threw up.  It did, however,
give me a wonderful opportunity to explain my situation to her and what I
was doing.  I don't know if I made a difference in how she views formula
marketing now, but I at least made a dent.

I wish I had not opened the packages, so that I could have just sent them
back to the manufacturer, but the outside of the box had no evidence of
whom it was from.  I will be lodging a complaint with the FTC tomorrow.  I
am certain that I unwittingly signed myself up at my first prenatal visit.
I naively believed the OB nurse who said that I was signing up for a
prenatal magazine only.  I specifically voiced my objection to free formula
in the mail.  I do have a visit on Thursday, and the doctor is definitely
going to get it both barrels from me.  Even if the magazine is the actual
culprit, the OB nurse should not be telling patients that formula companies
will not get the name if they will in the end.

Anyway, thanks for all the help.  Hopefully, by the fourth baby I will be
employed in this field, and know more about what really goes on out there.

Paula Hart
Charleston, SC