From:
Alicia Rudin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 10:08:11 -0800
Marsha wrote:

<  Mom believes the ped thinks something really is wrong with the
baby.  What else
should I tell her to help her find her way through this situation?  Is the
weight that bad?  I know it's below the charts, but this baby doesn't sound
like she's suffering.  She's ahead of the averages developmentally.
Wouldn't she be showing signs, if she wasn't getting adequate nutrition?
I'd love to see an answer from some of the docs on this list for this mom to
take to her ped.  How would you manage this situation?>
-

I'm a bit behind in my lactnets so if someone has already mentioned
this please excuse me.

What do mom and dad look like?  Are they small people?  Thin people?
What do their siblings look like?  Can the MD take a remedial stats
course? (oops sorry, a little sarcasm there 8-o)

If the MD wants to do some metabolic tests to confirm that everything
is working properly - sure, go ahead.  But, switch from breastmilk to
formula - makes no sense to me.

This is from a mom of a 5.5 yo daughter that is finally over 30 lbs,
not sure of her height - but, she's all legs.  Of course mom is just
5'1" and dad says he's 5'8" on his drivers license.  Also, dad's
sister is my height, but, very svelte.  My daughter seems to have
gotten the short skinny genes.

Anyway, that's my 0.02 worth!

Alicia Rudin, LLLL, AAPL, IBCLC
Gainesville, FL