From:
Pat Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 2010 08:15:48 -0400
Yes, sts is very important/vital in first hour (especially with establishing
family germs vs hospital germs). That is the ideal that we are working
towards.  (Education, publicity and situations like Karen's recent post are
what help change policies and customs.)  I did my research on how long it
takes nurses to adopt a new idea.  You will all be sad to know it is
years!!!  Baby Friendly is helping tremndously with this in our area.  It is
becoming sort of a competition.  sts is just like BF.  We've had to push and
push for years and some places it is really improving.  Eventually sts will
catch on, parents will insist on it.

Fortunately we know humans are very adaptable and it seems to me that it
helps whenever parents can get their baby in their own hands, whether it is
because of hospital "policy"/customs, surgery, adoption and so on.  Pat in
SNJ