From:
David Sulman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 2013 20:05:48 -0600
Our local Breastfeeding Coalition would like to develop  a "Ban the Bags" campaign focusing  on area clinics that give gift packs with formula coupons and samples to expectant mothers.  Even clinics that view themselves as supportive of breastfeeding and/or have some staff members trained in breastfeeding support seem to be still offering mothers formula gift bags.  One mother, a La Leche League leader herself, was given formula gift materials at an initial prenatal visit, despite the fact that she made clear her intention to breastfeed.  She asked our Coalition for help in addressing the matter.

Most of the "Ban the Bags" materials available in an online search seem to focus on hospital discharge gift packs.  Has anyone had experiences to can share focusing on clinic and outpatient settings?  Any  positive outcomes to share?  Pitfalls to avoid?

We are aware of resources such as "Ban the Bags"  at

	http://banthebags.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/ToolKit-revision-10-11-12.pdf
While these materials (17 pages long!) are aimed at legislators and those distributing hospital discharge packs, the advice and actions readily apply to any health care setting.

The Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine  Protocol #14 (dated 2013) on "Breastfeeding-Friendly Physician's Office: Optimizing Care for Infants and Children"  See

	http://www.bfmed.org/Media/Files/Protocols/Protocol_14_revised_2013.pdf

The American Academy of Pediatrics web site with lots of materials to help pediatric offices be more breastfeeding friendly.  See

	http://www2.aap.org/breastfeeding/healthProfessionaIsResourceGuide.html

What do you think is most effective in changing behaviors?  Written patient complaints to the Clinic Manager?  Letters of concern to the particular clinic from the local Breastfeeding Coalition?  Packets of resources and printed materials to enlighten these settings about the problems of marketing formula?  In-house training sessions?  Making this a topic in our annual Breastfeeding Symposium for health professionals working with breastfeeding families? (Physicians rarely attend, but we do reach nursing staff and medical and nursing students)?  Getting local mothers' groups on Facebook to raise a fuss?  Or something else?

Thanks,

Anne Altshuler, RN, MS, IBCLC, LLLL
Madison, Wisconsin, USA