From:
Alicia Dermer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 1997 23:50:24 -0400
Hi, all:  One of my family practice residents is working on a community
project about breastfeeding and has encountered someone from a west
African country (sorry, don't know which country) who told her that in
her culture, sex is taboo during the first year of bf because it is
believed that the sperm will get into the milk and cause diarrhea in the
baby.  This sparked my resident's interest and she asked me if I knew of
any literature on such taboos.  She was also interested on what the
accepted postpartum time for resuming sex is in various cultures.  While
I look through whatever literature I have available, I thought I'd throw
this one out to this great, vastly diverse group representing so many
different countries and cultures.  I'm interested in personal and
professional experiences as well as scientific literature.  TIA, Alicia.