From:
Linda Pohl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 1996 00:15:54 -0701
At the ILCA conference I picked up a way to deal with this issue from
another LC from N. California.  After adaptation I have come up with a way
that parents seem to understand.

I usually try to talk to them BEFORE (emphasis only) they talk about daddy
using a bottle to bond to baby.  In the advantages to father section of my
breastfeeding talk I point out that dad is the only one in the immediate
family who has the opportunity to teach baby that love comes in ways not
associated with food.  This usually get them to think about how to show
their child love and care.  Often they will realize that bottle feeding is
not a necessary part of loving.  I will often point put too that he didn't
have to feed mom to learn to love her.  For what it is worth, it seems to
work fairly well, at times.

All the best,

Linda Pohl, IBCLC
Phoenix, Arizona USA