From:
Theresa Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 19:38:06 -0800
To all,

I know this is not research based, but it is
practical.  The last two hospitals I worked at had
policies in place that if a mom was readmitted the
baby could room in with her but a support person had
to be with her 24/7 also to help take care of the
baby.  This makes sense in many ways:
1.  No admission notes/physical/extra duties or
increased census from doctor and nurses.
2. No additional charge from hospital.
3.  Mother is still free to have unlimited feedings
with baby.
4.  Baby is still free to have unlimited feedings with
mother.
5.  Support people can change out and take turns.
They just need to have someone there so mom (who is
admitted and sick) does not have to care for the baby
all by herself).  And nurses etc dont have to care for
baby and potentially expose the baby to all the
nasties in the hospital as well.

Its a total win-win situation.

Theresa Johnson RN IBCLC
Heidelberg Germany