Date:
Sat, 19 Jul 2008 15:06:27 EDT
A mom called me a few days ago wanting to get her son back to the breast.
Mom is from India and has had her mom here to help with baby for the first 3
months. The grandma just went home a few days ago. She got my name from several
other friends and was hoping I could get baby latched on. The baby is 3
months  and 1 week old.

This is her first baby. He was born at 34 weeks. He was in the NICU for 10
days. Mom has always pumped. She was getting about 3 oz and now gets around 2
oz.  She pumps every 2-3 hours. She used a hospital rental pump for the  first
2 months then bought a PIS and this was hurting her shoulder areas (I  think
she was leaning forward too much). Now she uses a hand pump.

Baby was latching onto mom with a nipple shield. This is what she was told
to do in the hospital. Baby began getting many bottles at home and a pacifier.
In the past 3 weeks he will not go on the nipple shield at all.

I saw mom, dad, and baby yesterday. Now baby likes to be fed bottle  only by
lying by himself on a couch or in his car seat.  We did try to  latch him on.
I put breastmilk in a syringe and we put some to the corner of the  baby's
mouth while he was near the breast. He did lick breast a bit but wanted  nothing
to do with this.

I talked a lot about skin-to-skin contact and am having her try lying down
in bed with baby next to her. If he likes to be on his own this may help? I
really feel he is a bit old to start breastfeeding when he has never done this
without a shield and has not even been on the shield in several weeks.

Has anyone had success getting an almost 4 month old baby attached?

Thanks,
Annette Leibovitz

FanHouse Fantasy Football today.