From:
"Susan E. Burger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 16:11:36 -0400
Just thought I'd let you know of the second case of nursing after
adenoidectomy and tonsillectomy.  As I mentioned in a previous, my son's
ENT had no problems with nursing after surgery.  He just said to keep the
same routine in order to comfort him and let him decide what is comfortable
to drink or eat.

Caleb is napping now on what was supposed to be the worst day after
recovery and he's doing just great.  He did want to nurse as he was coming
out of the anesthesia, but given the IV and monitors it wasn't really
feasible.  So we held him and talked him through his disorientation.  Since
he's come home, he's been nursing slightly more than usual.  He hasn't
really complained about any pain at all from nursing, sucking on Popsicles
or sucking through straws.  He even wanted orange juice a couple of days
ago, and per his ENT's advice I let him drink it.  After the second day he
was back to eating a normal diet.  My son is an opinionated child and lets
you know immediately if he doesn't like something or something hurts.  The
eardrops were an entirely different story and I’m very glad we only had to
put them in for three days!

The best part is listening to his breathing - it’s amazing to hear him
breath without snoring and without watching his chest "seesaw".  He no
longer juts out his jaw at night, which my dentist mentioned distorts the
maxilla development in children who have sleep apnea from enlarged
tonsils.   I’m hoping that his breastfeeding will counteract any damage
done by his tonsils.

Susan Burger