Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 09:52:27 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
The jaundice question has apparently remained the same since I had my first son 23 years ago.  I really had hoped by now that there would be less controversy and more medical agreement.

I am confused by Dr. Newman's position that jaundice is normal, etc. per his book Dr. Jack Newman's Guide to Breastfeeding, and the other view that babies need to be taken off breast for 48 hrs, treated with phototherapy, and the question also of what levels are considered "need for treatment, "because the numbers seem to vary by MD.  It makes it difficult to counsel a mom who calls for our advice, doesn't it?

I have the highest regard for Dr. Newman, so I usually follow his recommendations, but obviously, the doctors that the moms here see do not share Dr. Newman's views, so babies get lots of intervention, perhaps unnecessarily.  

I agree wholeheartedly that the follow-up is where the real problem lies--ironically, "yellow" babies are "recalled" by docs like crazy, but the AAP recommended follow-up weight check is almost 100% ignored, and most babies in this area are seen at 2 weeks postpartum. Inconsistency abounds, and I wish the Peds would read their own guidelines.

I appreciate so much what I learn from the more experienced LC's, and have expanded my horizons enormously through Lactnet.

Patricia Ellis, RN, MA, IBCLC

"Teach only love, for that is what you are."

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2