From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2013 08:55:07 -0500
Dear Lactnet Friends:

A baby that has been nursing well until about Day 3, and then refuses the
breast is probably annoyed at having to grasp a breast that is swollen from
Lactogenesis II. This situation as described is a classic picture of that:
 "5 day old (39weeker) who breastfed well until day 3 and now refuses to
latch and nurse. Se will take expressed milk from a bottle. She was 8.1 at
birth and was 7.7 yesterday. I suggested waking her at the 2-2.5 hour mark
to nurse. She has been letting her sleep 3-3.5 hours. I also suggested lots
of skin to skin between feeds to encourage her to latch on her own. When
put to the breast she opens wide and will not suck, but just cries. Mom has
tried different positions and nothing seems to be working. We gave a small
amount of breast milk via bottle (i know not ideal, but that was what mom
wanted) and the baby then latched with a nipple shield for about 5 minutes.
But when we removed the shield she cried again and would not latch."

Lots of skin to skin along with reverse pressuring softening, hand
expression or pumping, will transform a swollen breast into something the
baby remembers. It may take a little time to do this. As much skin to skin
care as the mother can do will help.

No fighting at the breast. Baby always wins those battles by refusing to
have anything the do with breast. Transform the decor of the Breastaurant
into a place baby enjoys and breastfeeding can be recovered. You can not
tell the mother when this will occur; help her to relax with this. Keep her
calm, and her baby will stay calm too.

warmly,

--
Nikki Lee RN, BSN, Mother of 2, MS, IBCLC, CCE, CIMI, ANLC, CKC
Author:* Complementary and Alternative Medicine in Breastfeeding Therapy*
www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com
https://www.facebook.com/nikkileehealth