From:
Susan Smylie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 1996 23:07:23 -0400
I had this problem after the birth of my first son.  It was diagnosed by an
occupational therapist.  She really helped me a lot, and I would certainly
recommend going to an OT to help with this.  I had to wear a splint that
immoblized my thumb for about 4 months (it was removable, could take it off
to wash dishes, etc).  I did exercises 3-4 times a day the last two months.
 I also took Motrin, although I think the splint helped the most.  The
problem I have seen with other women with this condition is that they are
given wrist braces only, but not a brace that keeps the thumb still.   I
think restricting movement of the thumb is really key to the healing.

My wrist was bad enough that I did not believe I would ever regain full use
of my thumb again, but it is fine now.  I have not had any problems since the
birth of my second son.

Susan Smylie