From:
Johnston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 1997 16:20:19 +1000
Dear friends,
Please don't get caught in the trap of comparing a woman's breastfeeding ability with the dairy industry.  Dairy farming is about making MONEY through the production of as much milk as possible in the most efficient way - then making us believe that we need it.  Mothering is about being GOOD ENOUGH in so many many ways, including breastfeeding, usually only one child at a time.
So when a dairy scientist says that fat heifers with super-large mammaries aren't the best, and would be rejected by the prudent dairy farmer, that says absolutely nothing about the woman who has been overly well endowed.
So many women worry if their breasts are too big, too small, or the nipples the wrong shape.  Not many of us are 'just right' in every way, but all of us are 'good enough' if we want to be.
BTW - my dear husband of 25 years did his Masters and PhD in Dairy Science, looking at cow lactation, so I've had many opportunities to think about the subject.

Joy Johnston Midwife IBCLC
Melbourne
Australia