From:
Glenn Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 1997 16:25:38 -0800
Below is my letter to Redbook -- the response I got was a form letter to the effect that while every letter does get read by a person, no-one can answer them all.  If my letter was specifically regarding an issue one of their columnists could deal with, or might be interested in, it would be forwarded to that columnist for further dealings.

So I don't know if my letter will go on to the cover editor, the photographs editor or anywhere at all --

    Breastfeeding is a warm, nurturing, family experience, as your cover
 helps to illustrate.  I hope this will be the beginning of a trend, which
will make breastfeeding and exposure to and of breastfeeding,  more
acceptable to those in the countries where it has fallen into decline for so many years -- basically the Western world.

I am sorry you felt you had to give your subscribers a different cover.
You do your readers in general, and my generation as well, a
disservice to feel that you have to protect them from your artwork.
If this cover was appropriate for some of your readers, than it was
appropriate for all.  I have heard a rationale  that your subscribers
are women in their 40s and 50s, and they might be offended or saddened or made
to feel guilty for not breastfeeding themselves.   But, if you have
a beautiful picture of a middle-aged  woman on your cover, do you
send it only to your subscribers, and change the cover on the stands
so that your younger readership isn't offended or saddened or scared
by the picture of age to come?  Probably not, so why feel you need to
 protect my generation from a picture of  our ages past.    Many of us are,
in fact, the ones who led the way for what is now a global effort to
increase breastfeeding initiation and continuation of nursing.

I am in my 50s, and I breasted my infant in the 70s, as did most of the
 other mothers I knew, not just hippies, but the as yet unnamed
yuppies as well.     Although it was a fairly new phenomenon then,  it
was mostly well-received, and I never was subjected to the hostility,
criticism and sarcasm many moms now face when breastfeeding in
 public.  It was an idea whose time had come (back), or so we thought
 then, in beknighted San Francisco.

I am delighted that there is now a global awareness of the
importance of breastfeeding.  I'm sorry that we have to mount a global
effort to increase breastfeeding initiation and continuation.    I am sorry
 we have to enact laws in this country to protect mothers' right to feed
their babies, and babies' right to feed at their moms' breasts, wherever
either might have the right to be.

I am sorry that the issue of breastfeeding is still not so totally
accepted that you feel you have to protect a large portion of your
readership from a picture of it.

Chanita R. Stillerman-Evans, former breastfeeding mom, RN, LC, Lactivist and CWC (Concerned World Citizen)

From