From:
Deborah Albert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Aug 2009 19:27:59 -0400
Okay, now that I have caught your attention.  I have had this happen to my
pumping moms over the years, and lately I have had two cases, and want to
get thoughts from others.  It does not matter what size or TYPE of breast
shield you use--this mom will have deep colored purple nipples (during
pumping and sometime afterward), and it DOES seem to inhibit milk
production.  Reduction of suction does not solve the issue. It is not
Raynauds because mom doesn't have cold extremity issues, and color is the
exact opposite of blanching.  Often it is a person who MUST pump--like a
NICU mom or a mom who is working full time. Skin color is so dark red or
purple, that it sometimes looks almost black.  The mother is often beside
herself with milk production woes, and despite the color does not find them
to be highly painful--just not as productive as they would like.  Sometimes
going to a good hand pump like an Isis or Lansinoh pump helps, but this is
not a clear answer for each mom I find with this dilemma.  Any thoughts?

Debbie Albert,RN, Ph.D., IBCLC
Naples, FL