Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 2011 21:06:26 EDT

Norma writes:

I just  heard from a mother who was told that she should not have her
tongue-tied  son's frenulum clipped because this would make his tongue
hypermobile. She is  going to ask for references for this advice, but in the mean
time, has anyone  else come across this?

Hi Norma,

I've heard it from a local IBCLC, as well as the MDs she works with, and
one SLT as well  in regard to releasing what many of us call posterior
tongue ties. If a tongue is restricted in mobility and function, thus
benefitting from a release, I would consider that a return to normal mobility,  not
hypermobility. It is true that some babies will have a period where they  gain
movement, but lack control, coordination, power, and stamina, and perhaps
this is judged "hypermobility." I wouldn't use that term because with time
and  practice most babies will gain control, power and stamina. There may be
the  occasional baby who has low muscle tone, and who could not develop the
strength  and skill to use this new freedom, thus making the situation
harder instead of  easier, even possibly dangerous, if they cannot control
breathing and the new  potentially faster flow, in rare situations. I have never
seen that happen, in  20 years of watching babies, but I've heard it used as
a rationale against  releasing posterior ties at all, by these same
professionals. Don't know any  research to back it up.

Peace,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL
Brooklyn, NY,  USA