From:
Deanne Francis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 May 1999 23:34:41 -0600
I think that sucking is reflexive (or instinctive) behavior, but eating is
not. In watching babies over the years, and in discussing this with our OT,
I think that sucking is reflexive - that is stimulating reflexes causes the
baby to suck.  Eating, on the other hand, is learned when the baby discovers
that sucking and swallowing satisfy a great need.
I also commented once before that it seems to be quite important for
premature babies to practice sucking.  There is a great deal of negative
oral stimulation for a premature baby, what with endotracheal tubes, gavage
tubes, suctioning, etc.  If they do not acquire sucking as a skill and a
pleasure while the reflex is still there, some of them never do suck (or
suckle) well.
The prematures seen in our follow up clinics five years ago had far more
problem with long-term gavage feedings because nobody could get them to
suck,  than we have since we have instituted early "thumby" pacifiers for
premies, and VERY early skin-to-skin and breast feeding.
IMO prematures may be the only babies who benefit from a decently shaped
pacifier before they are able to begin breast feeding.
Deanne