From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 13:22:44 EST
In a message dated 3/27/00 10:59:41 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< >If a mother is never informed of the true risks, she can never make an

>informed decision, and grave health consequences may occur for her infant.

I agree, especially since from what I have seen in my breastfeeding classes,

and at LLL meetings, many of the risks of formula are not widely known.

There is (at least around here) a general knowledge among the public that

breastfeeding is healthier and provides immunity.  These are the most

commonly mentioned advantages of breastfeeding by mothers and mothers to
be.>> <snip>

  I don't see where guilt has any place when we're

talking about research based facts.>>

I agree completely. When we say something has benefits, we are making a very
weak statement. When we say something has hazards, we are making a strong
statement. When we say breastmilk is superior or ideal, so what? Who lives an
ideal life, who is perfect and eats a perfect diet? But when we say that
something is dangerous, people naturally move away from that danger. It is
human nature to move away from pain, *before* moving towards pleasure. Just
my 10cc.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA