From:
"Lisa A. Marasco" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 1995 11:27:10 -0700
On Thu, 20 Jul 1995, Lois Girsky, R.N., M.P.H. wrote:

> Please describe the difference between pseudo and semi-inverted nipples.

Lois: my understanding of pseudo-inverted nipples is that they *look*
inverted at a glance, but when compressed at the areolar sinuses, they
extrude normally and thus function normally. I'm not sure about
"semi-inverted", but true inverted nipples retract upon compression (some
"look" inverted, others do not), thus
presenting a functional difficulty for some babies at latch-on. When we
studied these terms in my classes, it was noted that there is an
overlapping and disagreement of terminology; each author has her own
definition assigned to a given presentation. So don't feel badly about
being confused, the experts differ, too!

Lisa A. Marasco, IBCLC                                /  [log in to unmask]
International Board Certified Lactation Consultant    /  [log in to unmask]