From:
Mary Jozwiak IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 00:28:29 -0400
Make sure she is gentle with the milk once it is in it's container. The
"curdling" and soapy taste can result from the fat being denatured by
shaking and rough handling. Many mothers try to "homogenize" the milk when
they see normal fat separation during storage. Vigorous or even any type of
shaking can denature the fats and cause this problem. But this does not
appear to injure the milk or it's safety for the baby.

Have her GENTLY tip the container about 35 degrees a few times to blend the
milk, but let her know that the cream rising to the top is totally normal
and she does not have to re-incorporate it before feeding to the baby.

My milk does this, especially if frozen. The few times that I pumped and
tasted it, many years ago, with my first baby, I used to shake it like
crazy to blend the fat and it tasted like a liquid Ivory Soap! I threw out
a few ounces that I thought had gone bad. I wouldn't want to drink "soapy"
milk, but apparently most babies aren't bothered by it (yech.)

I just read in a science journal (I can't remember which one) that reason
that scalding milk, in dairy farming as well as baking, is done so that
enzymes are destroyed and yeast can now be used to make bread with the
milk. These enzymes appear to be a protective factor against yeasts and
fungi and I am not comfortable "scalding" human milk unless we are dealing
with HIV or something serious. Especially if this baby is getting a large
portion of her milk in expressed form. This IS extrapolated from dairy
herding, but the enzyme action in human milk may well be similar. I would
want my babies and my client's babies to have as much protection against
yeasts and fungis as possible. Has anyone else read this info by chance?
Are there any studies I may have missed comparing fungal growth in scalded
and unscalded milk?

Mary Jozwiak IBCLC, LLLL, AAPL, Post Partum doula (on baby leave)
Private Practice