From:
Janice Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 06:01:29 -0600
It woud be my preference to use "risks of NOT breastfeeding" or "lack of breastfeeding", rather than "risks of formula".
Reasons?:

After 6, or 9 or 12 months of age, or so, "formula" is not the competitor, or alternative, to breastfeeding.  "Not breastfeeding," is.  Here in Canada, part of what we are needing to do is extend breastfeeding duration past the first 6 months.  So you can't just talk about the "risks of formula" - moms will think that they are fine once they get past the age that they would be giving formula.

Sometimes the replacement to breastfeeding is solids, or juices, or water - not just formula.

Maybe moms will just start weaning to solids and cow's milk sooner?  I know a exclusively pumping mom who I can see will try to wean her baby to solids ASAP, to free herself from pumping, and avoid the cost of formula.

Is this really the message we want to send?

Also I personally know a woman in my town, (who's kids are just 7 and 9 years old now) who NEVER bought commercial formula, but raised her kids on the old "corn syrup, milk and water" recipe that she was raised on.  So that was just 7 years ago - she said they couldn't afford formula.

So if we REALLY want to be clear about our language, I think we must use the terms "risks of not breastfeeding".

Also when you say "risk of formula" which formula are you referring to - soy? DHA added? non DHA added?  non allergic?  I think we can look forward to more market differentiation of formula, so we should stick to the facts - NOT breastfeeding will increase your risks for......

Janice Reynolds
(who lives in a very small town, where you get to know EVERYONE'S personal details, without them even having to be very close friends!)
Nokomis, Saskatchewan, Canada