From:
Judith Hayman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 15:32:47 -0400
>They recommend the tried and true method of removal with a good quality
>head lice comb to get rid of all the nits.

My server has been a bit wonky so if I missed posts re this I apologize.

The comment above would also be mine.  The shampoos get rid of live lice and kill _some_ of the eggs (not all).  In general getting rid of the nits will get rid of the head lice.  Of course that means you need someone to pick the nits, a job that can be amazingly time consuming.  A spouse or a good friend (or both) are helpful in finding and removing nits.

Note that plastic lice combs are an utter waste of time, you need the metal ones, which are more rigid and have finer spacing.  And sometimes you just need to pick the damn things off with fingernails.

Like the other insecticides, malathion would readily absorb across the skin and be secreted in breast milk.  Hale recommends permethrin over lindane.  No mention of malathion.  While the dose may be small, who wants the risks?

Judith

Judith A. Hayman, RN, BSc, BScN, IBCLC
Public Health Nurse, Lactation Consultant