From:
Jodine Chase <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2012 09:36:02 -0600
I'd like to draw the list's attention to IBCLC Amber McCann's latest blog
post. She has written about supporting families in milksharing from the
perspective of a practicing IBCLC. I'm glad that Amber is speaking out
about this - I know many IBCLCs who field questions from families about how
they should go about obtaining donor milk when they need to supplement, or
what to do with their excess milk, and I'm really glad Amber has written
this post.

-- Jodine Chase
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Supporting Families in Milk Sharing as an International
Board Certified Lactation Consultant
September 21, 2012

As an *International Board Certified Lactation
Consultant<http://www.ilca.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=1>
*, I have, first and foremost, an ethical obligation to provide
evidence-based information to my clients to support their breastfeeding
relationship. Every day, for a variety of reasons, I encounter and
encourage families who need to supplement their baby’s nutrition with
something other than milk directly from the mother’s breast. Today, they
have many options: pump and feed their own milk, supplement with some sort
of donor milk, milk-based formulas, soy-based formulas, pre-digested
formulas . . . lots of options, lots of questions, lots of opportunities
for parents to be confused.
I believe that parents are capable of making the choices that are best for
themselves and their families.It is my job to make sure they have all the
information to do so.

Read more: http://www.ambermccann.com/blog/milksharing/#ixzz27Oy2pI4Z