Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 08:52:56 -0600
At 09:19 AM 11/19/01 -0600, you wrote:
>Candida spores can be washed off intact skin, so if the mother doesn't have
>cracked nipples from nursing (she is only pumping) it would surprise me if
>this were yeast.

This is an interesting prospect. I had a client with whom I was working
with her second baby. We were talking about yeast and sore nipples, which
she didn't have. She said that with the first baby her nipples were sore at
the beginning so she rinsed them with clear water after every feeding for
several weeks and the soreness didn't return. I suspected that she was
preventing yeast overgrowth.

I suppose that if a mother had abx with the birth and has a history of
yeast problems we could advise her to rinse her nipples after each feeding
for 2-3 weeks and see if it prevented the nipple breakdown and resultant
yeast overgrowth.

Unfortunately, it sounds like the old "wash your nipples with
______(usually something foul) after each feeding." Washing is certainly
not something one would expect a mother to have to do after each feeding,
but in the US we are dealing with an un-natural setting and interventions,
so we have to take un-natural measures.

Has anyone else tried this approach? I do recommend a vinegar wash rinse
but maybe it is the rinse as much as the changed ph on the nipples.

Pat Gima, ICLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Mailto:[log in to unmask]