Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2007 17:48:42 -0800
I've got to say, I don't see a problem here.  This baby could be mine -
9 lbs 10 oz at birth (also weighed on a nontraditional scale at my home
birth but I trust its accuracy).  At six months my baby is 15 lbs 12 oz
which is six pounds over birth weight which is an average gain of 4
oz/week (actually a tad less than since most months don't have an even
four weeks to them).  She nurses on demand, cosleeps, has no pacifier
and I'm nursing her two older siblings and have TONS of milk.  Both my
girls were slow to gain but they got tall really fast.  My baby is
definitely alert and active - she started crawling two weeks ago!   Is
this baby longer/taller than average?  What are the parents body types
and the other children?   I believe genetics plays a role - we've got
lots of tall & skinny people in our family so it's of no surprise to me
that my 3 1/2 year old just hit 30 lbs last month.  My baby is only 40th
percentile in weight - which is a drop on the scale from where she
ranked at birth but her height has gone UP from the 50th percentile to
the 85th percentile.  If I were counselling this mother I really think I
would be giving her a "if it aint broke, don't fix it" type of
response.   The only thing I would suggest is that they change the
growth chart that they use:  the new WHO chart for breastfed babies.
The baby's growth curve may look better on that chart than the generic
one.  If there's a big problem with this mother's baby then there's also
one with mine.

Margo