From:
Lisa Marasco IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jun 2001 21:47:38 -0700
>>I also was wondering if anyone has had any experience with breastfeeding
mothers with hypothyroidism, with low milk supply issues. <<

Having just completed my own research on primary supply failure, one of the
issues that resurfaced was that of low thyroid. In the past I have had a
couple of moms who had histories of hypothyroid or borderline low thyroid,
who weren't making quite enough milk. In my thesis study, I intended to
exclude hypothyroidism, but found that some of the women had borderline low
levels that were considered insignificant by their MDs. This caused me to
wonder if perhaps even borderline thyroid problems can create more problems
than we have suspected in the past.

Here is the paradox of hypothyroidism:

1) We know that it can cause low milk supply*
2) Women who are "euthyroid" due to treatment can still have milk supply
problems*
3) One of the possible presenting symptoms of primary hypothyroidism can be
hyperprolactinemia and galactorrhea**

Comment: generally speaking, whatever the hormonal issue, the women in my
study of primary insufficiency tended to have poor pregancy breast growth.

*Miyake A, Tahara M, Koike K, Tanizawa O. Decrease in neonatal suckled milk
volume in diabetic women. EJO 33(1989) 49-53.

**Contreras P; Generini G; Michelsen H; Pumarino H; Campino C.
Hyperprolactinenemia and galactorrhea: spontaneous vs iatrogenic
hypothyroidism. J Cli Endo Metab 1981; 53(5):1036-9.

**Cortese L; Oliva G; Verstegen J; Ciaramella P; Persechino A.
Hyperprolactinemia and galactorrhea associated with primary hypothyroidism
in a bitch. J Small Anim Pract 1997; 38(12):572-5.

**Shahshahani MN; Wong ET. Primary hypothyroidism, amenorrhea, and
galactorrhea. Arch Intern Med 1978; 138(9):1411-2.

Lisa Marasco MA IBCLC