Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 21:21:34 EDT
Dr. Lawrence does state colostrum is not irritating if aspirated in her book
(page 249, 5th edition) but she gives no reference. I will ask her about it
in Orlando when I see her.

I would like someone at a hospital where babies are not kept NPO at all
before circs to do a retrospective chart review of all circumcised infants re
aspiration with controls, and also of all aspirations, looking at the
associations of each.  As there are not many aspirations at all in full term
infants due to anything (even meconium is getting rare), it would take many
years worth of data to reach significance, however.

Actually our hospital does not have any rules about NPO with circs.
Individual MDs decide what they are comfortable with.  As I do very few term
infants (the OBs do them) I will take an informal poll in the doctor's lounge
and see what our practice really is!  Since I do premies, often with reflux
on meds, I guess my view of the world is somewhat skewed.  Thanks for helping
me "think outside the box".
Nancy Wight MD, FAAP, IBCLC
Neonatologist
San Diego, CA