From:
Theresa Belville <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Mar 2002 18:19:46 -0500
Jean, I read with interest your post on LACTNET about a better name for
formula.  I have been a lurker for quite a while, but have never posted
because I am not a "professional" yet and felt that I didn't have anything
to contribute.   But I have wrangled with this particular issue of what to
call formula.

>One thing I DID LIKE!  It referred to "non-human milk". What would be a
>good way to include this to make a "breastfeeding friendly term" (as
>averse to a "pharmaceutical industry friendly term") for formula? Without
>using the word "fake", of course.

How about artificial infant drink?  Artifical, because it is comprised of
chemicals and chemically altered organic elements.  Infant, for obvious
reasons.  And drink, because that is, in fact, what it is.  Formula is not,
in any way, a "milk."  Merriam-Webster defines milk as:

1 a : a fluid secreted by the mammary glands of females for the nourishment
of their young; especially : cow's milk used as a food by humans
2 : a liquid resembling milk in appearance: as a : the latex of a plant b :
the juice of a coconut c : the contents of an unripe kernel of grain

As such, the use of 'artificial infant milk' is completely inaccurate and
deceptive.  Uing the term 'milk' confers a status of equality on formula
that is completely undeserved.  I think that 'infant drink' might give
mothers pause, take them out of their comfort level a bit and think about
what it is they are really feeding their child (Okay, I am an idealist!)

Theresa
aspiring IBCLC, mama to two wonderful toddlers